Mission, Vision and Objectives
In 2004, the Foundation’s Endowment Leadership Institute (ELI) established its legacy program among these agencies and synagogues of San Diego’s Jewish community. The responsible next step was to ensure excellent governance among the organizations. The Foundation introduced the Governance Leadership Institute (GLI), in 2008.
The Governance Leadership Institute’s mission is to strengthen nonprofit governance practices in the San Diego Jewish community, to build trust and credibility within organizations and between organizations and the community. The Foundation will offer resources in governance best practices to Jewish community organizations.
GLI provides a framework and resources for building a culture of strong governance in the Jewish community. Outstanding governance practices will promote healthy organizations, donor trust and an enhanced ability to serve the Jewish community.
- Increase philanthropy and endowments by enhancing donors’ trust in the long-term stability of organizations with strong governance practices
- Provide a forum for collaboration among community organizations and strengthen the leadership of the entire community
- Engage experienced, respected community leaders to share their talents and experiences to benefit the community
- Advance board effectiveness and potential for high-impact results through the knowledge and application of best practices in board governance
- Build inspired, passionate, productive boards and improve the quality of board service so it is worthwhile and enriching for members
- Promote transparency and accountability including access to a wide variety of resources
- Enhance the quality of professional leadership through increased knowledge and application of best practices in management
- Strengthen the partnership between board and professional staff and empower the team to move the organization to its next level
- Establish a framework for hiring and supporting professional staff and for effective succession planning